What the heck is “Living Intentionally”?
This is an extremely broad area of conversation that can encompass many different lifestyles and situations. But for the sake of my blog and what I will be sharing, to me living intentionally essentially means living your beliefs to direct your life that you want and dream of, and by living those beliefs you are not aimlessly just going with the flow. You essentially have more control of what comes in and out of your life. It really is living your truth!
Living Intentionally reminds me of the scripture:
2nd Nephi 2:26 And because that they are redeemed from the fall they have become free forever, knowing good from evil; to act for themselves and not to be acted upon…
In this life there are things to Act and Things to be Acted Upon. We humans are not here in this life to just let things happen to us and to let life just pass us by. But we are here to be the movers and shakers in the world making things happen. We are not meant to be on the sideline watching the other players do their thing we need to be on the field playing the game doing our part to help whatever our cause and purpose may be!
Give Purpose and Meaning to everything you do whether you are a stay at home mother or a CEO of a company. You can live each day intentionally and on purpose. Ultimately you have the choice to determine your life. You choose what happens and if it’s something happens not in your control you can choose how to react to it. Here are some ideas you can be intentional with your Life.
- Understand You – Find out what you are really about. Often we are so busy running around trying to please our spouse, children, parents, work boss, church we forget to take time to really define who we are and know and understand ourselves fully. Take time to understand what you stand for your beliefs so you are not swayed with whatever comes your way.
- Evaluate your Environment – Are the people you hang out with supporting your beliefs? Does your work environment help you live your beliefs and ethics. What kind of culture is your environment moving towards are you being influenced by it? Is it pushing you further or closer to your purpose and beliefs and core values? Take the time to know what is happening before you just get swept along for the ride. This may mean at times you may be swimming against the current.
- Define your Life – As little kids we all had some kind of dream of what kind of life we would be living. Before we got married we had thoughts of how our marriage would be like. We had thoughts and ideas of ways we were going to raise our children. But when life happens those thoughts and dream seem to go out the window. Take some time to go back, reflect and evaluate those thoughts. Now define how you want your life to look like. Define your marriage, education, work, faith, health, your relationship with your children and parents. Taking the time to define how you want your life to be will enable you to see the actions you need to get to achieve those things. You will see the things are important to you and things that will disappear. Defining your life will give you the power to how your life will unfold. Don’t feel the pressure that it has to go perfectly or you have to know everything that’s going to happen, there will be bumps but we will always have something to fall back on to help us get back on track. Having some kind of document of how you want your life to look like will give you guidance so you don’t get sidetracked too easily by the things that don’t matter.
I believe that we all have our individual roles and purpose here, some roles are bigger than others but not the least bit less significant. Whatever our individuals roles and purposes be, let’s live them truthfully. Be courageous and intentionally with all that we do so we can feel deep fulfillment in the life that we live. I promise you that as you take time to define your life you desire you will be able to live it intentionally each and every day. Truly when the time comes we can say as Paul:
I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith 2 Timothy 4:7
A little criticism can be good so we can find areas to work on, but the problem is many of us take it too far. Why do we talk so negatively to ourselves? We are supposed to be our number one cheerleader and we are the first ones to put ourselves each day.
Over the long term negative self-talk can turn into high stress levels and depression. It will also cause us to believe whatever story we are telling ourselves whether it is true or not. (Most of the times they are lies!)
Before starting my blog, I was really scared to start a blog. Scared what people will think of me, scared what people will say about me and the list goes on. This hindered me starting and sharing my blog for the longest time. I would delay and make excuses. I would tell myself that I had nothing worth sharing. I am not educated enough. I can’t proofread to save my life. I can’t ever turn it into something of worth. I can’t I can’t I can’t!!! Eventually I had to learn how to self-talk positively in this area so I could do what I hoped for. I had to get support and encouragement from my husband and close family. I started small and slowly started to build up confidence. Although my blog still has a long way to go I am happy that I abolished the self-talk in my head. I have seen so many amazing stories from my blog and how it’s influenced others to do their own. If I only touch one person I am satisfied and if that one person is my I am one satisfied woman that I have overcome the negative self-talk.
- Recognize your negative self-talk – Take a little journal around and recognize the negative things you say to yourself throughout the day. The more you recognize it the more likely you are able to stop it in its tracks
- Create Positive Phrases – To counteract those negative thoughts when they come in. Repeat these positive phrases over and over in the morning and evening and any other time to tell yourself a new story
- Recognize source of negative talk – Ask yourself and think a little deeper about why you might be talking negatively. What is the real problem here? If you can dig down deep into the roots you will realize why you are talking negative. For example in my story above I was talking negatively to myself because I was afraid and fearful to what others thought of me. I was trying to protect myself even though I didn’t need it.
- Don’t Compare! – You are just setting yourself up for disappointment or even temporary happiness. You can’t compare your weaknesses with others strengths.
- Question your negative self-talk – If you say you can’t ask yourself why do you think you can’t. Is there any possible solutions? Can I take the chance to look into this further? Could I make this possible? This gives you opportunity to analyze and possibly turn the situation around instead of just ending at I can’t!
What is your negative self-talk preventing you from accomplishing? What has it stopped you accomplish? Have did you manage to overcome your negative self-talk? Leave your comments below I would love to hear from you!
What you don’t have a TV? What else do you do? It’s interesting to me that so many people can’t imagine a life without a TV. If you go into most living room areas where it supposedly meant to be “family time”, everything is organized so that the TV is the central focus of the living room. (family time is now tv time) Before you get on me I am not an extremist not allowing technology in my home and I am not judging you for having a TV in your home. I am also not against having a TV because we do have our own vices we have a laptop and a smartphone that can take just as much or more of our time, but just going without a TV means one less thing we have to worry about. I am merely writing this article so we can be conscious of how much our children are exposed to screens instead of interacting with real humans aka family, nature and discovering things on their own.
act for themselves and not to be acted upon – 2nd Nephi 2.26
Approximately 99% of households own at least 1 Tv. Average TV per household is 2.24 which then if you add laptops and computers and also cellphones even ipads etc…can you see how quickly consumed our children can be attached to screen time whatever form it may be. In the same survey 54% of 4- 6 year old kids said they would rather watch TV then play with their fathers!!!
But aside from my kids benefit the real reason is I will get sucked into it. Yeah I already don’t have much self-control when it comes to my phone and laptop so what makes me think having a TV is going to make it any easier. So not having a TV is mainly because I need to practice using my time productively, finding things like reading, going outside, doing my blog. TV is just one less distraction I have in my house. But for those of you out there are pretty good at self control and can manage your children’s television time and can use your time productively big props to you guys out there! Keep it UP!
Pros of NOT having a TV:
- She wakes up and wants to play with us (also a con on saturday morning)
- I don’t have to fight her to do something else
- She doesn’t whine to watch TV (just to play on my phone)
- I can spend more time with her during the day
- We spend more time outside
- We do more hands on activities
- We take time to see friends and attend playgroups
- She keeps herself busy with toys and looks at books for entertainment
- She is always investigating the house for new things to play with
- She is able to focus on a task for longer periods of time
Cons of NOT having a TV:
- Miss out on some educational shows they can learn from
- I don’t have an easily accessible babysitter to keep her occupied
- My house is generally more messy because she gets into more things
- It’s harder to show her new things like different animals around the world
- I get less chill time
With this said there if I do get desperate and need some sanity Signing Time on YouTube is my emergency plan Z. By all means we are not perfect and we need lots of improvement with using our phones and laptop during family time. Our daughter is pretty good at reminding us by coming and shutting the laptop so we can pay attention to her. haha So let’s all evaluate our situations what is distracting us from doing the things that are most important is it phones, computers or televisions, and manage our time a little better. How do you manage screen time and television in the house? Let me know some of your creative ideas!
My momma always said I can do anything I put my mind to!
Graduate High School✓
Graduate w/ Bachelors✓
Serve a Church Mission✓
Live in a Different Country✓
Certified Life Coach
Do a Ted Talk
Publish a Book
Certified Yoga Instructor
Start a Business
Lecture at a University
Start a Blog✓
Start a YouTube Channel✓
Buy a House✓
Read New Testament
Read Book of Mormon✓
Join a Humanitarian Project
Start my own Humanitarian Project
Learn a new Language✓
Take a Homeless out for Dinner
Take Speed Reading course
Do Splits 5 ways
Have 5 Streams of Income
Enjoy a week without Technology
Watch A Broadway Musical
Live in a 3rd World Country
Statue of Liberty New York✓
Sydney Opera House✓
Coromandel New Zealand✓
Queenstown New Zealand
Colosseum in Rome
Taj mahal India
Great wall of China
Pyramids in Egypt
Machu picchu in Peru
Israel the Holy Land
Road Trip for 6months
Snowboarding and Skiing✓
Ride Camel in Desert
Swim with Dolphins
Go on a Zipline✓
Ride a Gondola✓
Ride in a Helicopter
Go White Water Rafting
This is obviously not the final list as sometimes I change my mind about things! But there are also stuff that I am always adding to my Bucket List!!! Now get started on yours!!!
We all know that music can be such a powerful tool in our homes, work, church and even education learning environments. Children are taught through songs right from when they are born as they hear the melody and the words being sung to them from their mother’s lullabies. Children can feel a sense of calmness and security when they hear such familiar tunes. We too can be affected on a daily basis by the songs that we choose to listen to and influence our subconscious mind either positively or negatively.
I know for me whenever I get into the car there are just some songs that just take my thoughts into a negative space. So why not put that in my own hands and enjoy good music all the time. I also just love to listen to the music in the house especially during the times when I am cleaning to pump me up or doing a brain-dead job to keep me awake. Remember don’t feel like you need to fill your empty time with music sometimes it’s nice and refreshing to enjoy the peace and quiet every now and then.
Today I thought I would share my playlist of songs that I have created so I am being in control of what is coming and filling into my mind. My number one song is BRAVE by Sara Bareilles. This is a morning ritual song for Baby and I, we dance to this song for fun but also hoping that her subconscious will take in the message of being brave and amazing and not fearing those around her as she goes throughout her life.
P.S these are mainly my dancing songs so there are lots slower positive songs that I haven’t included
- Brave – Sara Bareilles
- Happy – Pharrell
- Where is the Love – Black Eye Peas
- I’m A Believer – Shrek
- Billionaire – Bruno Mars (Clean Version)
- Waka Waka – Shakira
What positive uplifting songs do you like to listen and dance too? Comment and Share your ideas and thoughts below. Don’t forget to create your own playlist and share with us!
Nobody is Exempt
Yes we all go through it, there are always going to be trials and hardship that we come across in our lifetime. It’s the reality of being human. To be honest I have never come anybody EVER that has not come across the bitter pill of adversity whether it was a loss of a loved one, depression, loneliness, or financial burdens etc… But just because we all go through it to some degree or another it doesn’t mean we should sweep it under the rug and try not to understand why we go through them.
A Continuous Transformation Process
Adversity is part of a continuous cycle we face being humans. This process is made up of 3 main steps, firstly experiencing and recognizing the hardship, weaknesses and flaws within us, second the transformation and change journey and lastly enjoying growth and reflection. Don’t worry it’s not over yet this cycle repeats itself over and over again many times throughout our life and as we continue to recognize more things we need to work on. From every hardship we go through we learn and can become a better person from that experience. (Also check out Grit Growth and Gratification blog post for an in-depth explanation of this transformation process.)
Take over the Reigns
There are some things that are just out of our control but we will only hurt ourselves if we worry about that which is out of our control. What we can work on and focus on is that which we do have control of which is ourselves our mindset and how we handle the adversity. We can choose to crawl up into a little ball and hope it will pass by or we can take it a day or a minute at a time. Here are some ways to have a positive outlook during this whole process.
Gratitude: One way to help you through adversity is to look at what there is good going on. Notice the small changes and celebrate the small progress.
Think Big: Look at the bigger picture. Look at where you are going how far you come sometimes just looking at today isn’t enough to show how much you have grown and developed.
Service: Helping somebody else in worse off situation helps you realize that there are other people suffering more than you
Support System: Lock in a good support group to be your cheer leaders along the way. We all need family or friends who will help us on this journey especially when you are feeling like you just want to give in.
Best Wishes my lovelies! Go rock the world!
We all have them.. that negative inner voice that says
You aren’t smart enough
You aren’t brave enough
You aren’t pretty enough
You aren’t social enough
YOU ARE NOT ENOUGH
LIMITING BELIEFS are also disguised as
- Negative Thoughts
- Beliefs conditioned from culture or family
- Thought Patterns
- Perfectionistic Thinking
- Past failures
You are enough! And you can overcome these belief systems that hinder you from your true and ultimate potential. Look back in your life there are bound to be numerous examples when you decided that these belief systems were not going to rule your life. For me it was going to university and graduating from university.At one point I questioned if I was really smart enough and committed to go there and graduate. In relationships I would think am I am I doing enough to be loved? Do I even deserve to be loved?
These limiting beliefs have come from everywhere and anywhere, we have picked them up throughout our childhood and held on to them to define us. For me during my late teens it was such a simple sentence that this ignorant boy used “YOU CAN’T TALK TO ME UNLESS YOU LOOK LIKE THIS SUPERMODEL ON THE FRONT COVER OF THIS MAGAZINE” Even today this still haunts me as I have translated it to mean, I can’t accomplish anything great unless I look like her. Or sometimes I think okay once I lose weight I will definitly get the dream job or the success that I am looking for. Which it totally BULL!!!!! Our self limiting beliefs may have come from our environment, family, friends or even the media. As time goes on these beliefs get stronger and stronger and get proven time and time again because we live them and turn them into reality.
Can you imagine your life if you had no limiting beliefs, where your mind is an open and blank canvas. What would you do differently? Where would you be? Who would you become? Here are some steps and ideas to help you overcome your limiting belief systems.
- Think of a Dream, Goal you have but have failed to achieve
- What is your biggest excuse or reason for failure?
- Dig Deep and ask why do you use that excuse?
- What has made you accept that as your excuse?
- How is this belief or excuse helping me?
- What are things I can accomplish if I didn’t have this belief?
- What are the consequences if I stay with this belief?
- How would I feel if I overcame this belief?
- How would my life be different if I overcame this belief?
- Why should I change now?
- Am I committed to this new future?
These are questions to ask yourself as your evaluate whatever you limiting belief is. Whatever is holding you back is always just in your head. You do have the power to change your thought process and define your own future. If you have any further questions on this I would love to hear from you. Feel free to message me or comment below!!!
As part of my 5 Values this year one of them being edifying my mind I am endeavouring to read a book a month and so here is my Book Review for January! This book was awesome in terms of helping me recognize things that I needed to work on in terms of working with people and communicating and understanding people.
There are so many things that I know I need to work on but here are the two main ideas that I know I really got from this book. The first idea is based on these two quotes.
“Any fool can criticize, complain, and condemn—and most fools do. But it takes character and self-control to be understanding and forgiving.”
“God himself sir, does not propose to judge people until end of their days so why should you and I”
I love this idea as it’s an awesome reminder those who don’t know how to control their tongue in the end is the biggest fool. It takes little to no self control to just blurt out criticism, complain and judge people but it really takes character to be able to try and understand other people and their prospective.
“A man convinced against his will Is of the same opinion still”
This is also another awesome idea that I am struggling with. Telling somebody they are wrong isn’t always the best way to help them believe in your prospective so learning how to express your views tactfully and helping them convince themselves of your idea is ultimately the best way. This means a lot of patience and perseverance and understanding.
Have you read this book yet? What were your favourite ideas? Would love to hear!!!!!
Keep being amazing, Keep learning, growing and becoming the best YOU!!!
Our world is filled with so much negativity. It’s everywhere and can be suffocating if we let it, illness, depression, heavy work load, strained relationships or even world news. But with every problem we can always try and tackle it with some good old positivity, yeah I know it won’t make the problems go away but it may be able to help you bear the challenges are little better! Today I just wanted to share some tips on ways I try to squeeze in some bits of positivity throughout my day.
1. Start Right
Starting your day off to the right foot can make a massive difference in your day. First things first. Start the day with the things most important to you whether it’s through prayer, scripture reading or meditating or exercise incorporate this into your morning ritual. You will notice your day goes much smoother and feels satisfying. If you need to get upan hour b before the whole house wakes up do it!
2. Clear Clutter
Cleaning at least one area in the house will help you feel good about yourself. I know when you have kids sometimes it’s too easy to have a messy house. For me to keep myself sane I just clean one area and ban everybody from going there whether it’s my bedroom or a living room area. Having just a clean area can help you invite positive vibes into your environment.
3. Listen to Positive
Throughout the day if I am cleaning, organizing or eating I like to listen to motivational or uplifting podcasts. Generally I like to listen to these sometimes instead of music. Listening to these podcasts help with mood and also help educate me in so many ways. Podcasts are easier as I don’t have to sit in front of a screen, usually I do it when I am doing mundane tasks around the house or even better when I am driving long distances. Here is a list of self-improvement podcasts you should check out. My favorite is Christine Hassler she has been a help for me in getting clear with setting purpose and goals.
4. Act of Kindness
Do something nice for somebody else. When you help somebody it will ALWAYS I can guarantee, it will make you feel good and uplift you to a state of greater happiness. It is a WIN-WIN situation and it’s contagious. Doing a conscious act of kindness will give you the boost especially when you are feeling down and out!!!
What are ways that you maintain positivity in your life? Would love to hear your thoughts!!! Comment and Share if you found this useful!
This post was sponsored by www.allthingspodcast.com. Check them out for all things you need to know about podcasts.